Monday, January 24, 2011

Verizon Fios is Leading Me to Drink - Day 8

I am waiting for Verizon Fios to be installed in my apartment today and of course their in time is between 8 and 11 and they aren't here yet at 11:30.  Once they arrive it will take them 6 to 8 hours to install their service so I think I may start drinking early today.  Ok, maybe not, but I sure would like to add a little something to my morning coffee right now to take the edge off of sitting around waiting, to just wait some more.

Tonight, my best friend Kait and I are going to Ten Degrees Wine Bar in the East Village for their Monday special.  All bottles of wine are 1/2 off!  That means that my brokeness can actually afford to go out.  So, if you have someone to share a bottle with and you have Monday nights free, you should check it out.  They have a great selection and during my last visit there I enjoyed a great bottle of David Bruce Petite Sirah.  So yummy.  I'm tempted to order it again tonight but I really want to broaden my horizons and try something new.  We'll see.

Because of my love affair with David Bruce I'm inspired to learn more about the difference between Syrah (also called Shiraz in Australia) and Petite Syrah (this can also be spelled Petite Sirah).  Petite Syrah is mostly grown in California and Syrah is famously known as being from the Rhône valley in France.  According to The New Wine Lover's Companion third edition "True Petite Sirah grapes produce deep-colored, robust, peppery wine that packs plenty of tannin, giving it good aging ability."  And, "Syrahs are long-lived, and as they slowly mature, they take on characteristics of sweet blackberries, blackcurrants, and plums, with hints of smokiness."  When Syrah is still young it will be "... deep-colored and tannic, with strong tar, spice and pepper qualities."

It sounds to me like the two wines have a lot of similarities.  In some cases, Petite Syrah grapes are actually created by crossing Syrah grapes with Peloursin grapes.  This is why some Petite Syrah's will taste so much like Syrah.  However, not all Petites are related to the non Petites.

I love both of these wines, even Shiraz.  As to which may be my favorite... I can't say 100% that I have a favorite between the two.  But, if I was held at gun point and forced to pick, I think I'd say Petite Syrah.

Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. Love verizon...single handedly respnsible for drinkers around the world! On another note, I love learning about wine! I might know more than a fifth grader finally!! :)

    ReplyDelete