Tuesday, January 18, 2011

2007 House Wine gets an 89 from Wine Spectator - Day 2

One of my favorite wines just got a "very good" point rating from Wine Spectator.  And, because I have no idea what the wine point system is, I decided that this would be my first topic of research!

After work today I wandered through my neighborhood wine store (as I often do since the store is just outside my subway station).  I noticed that one of my favorite wines, House Wine made by The Magnificent Wine Co. in Walla Walla Washington, had a new label stuck to the neck of the bottle advertising that its 2007 vintage just received 89 points from Wine Spectator.  I thought to myself, "Hmmm... I know that's a good score because they otherwise wouldn't bring attention to it, but what exactly does it mean?"  So, here is what I found out from wine.com:

There are several different publications in which wines are rated on a point system.  To name a few of the more well known publications there are, Wine Spectator (of course), The Wine Advocate by Robert Parker, Wine Enthusiast and Wines & Spirits.  Each publication has its very own grading system but they all pretty much agree with each other that anything in the 90's is "Outstanding" or "Extraordinary," anything in the 80's is "Good to Very Good," anything in the 70's is "Just Average" and anything below 70 is "Below Average" or "Not Recommended."  Some publications go on to even lower grades, all the way down to the 50's, stating that those wines are "Not Drinkable" or "Have Noticeable Deficiencies."  Congratulations to The Magnificent Wine Co. for a "Very Good; Wine with Special Qualities" rating!

I have to say that it makes me feel good to know that my palate has been right on track with what the experts have to say about this wine.  I've been enjoying House Wine for the last couple of years now.  However, because of this new grade they've received, I have this very bad feeling that I will no longer be able to afford it in the coming months.  Damn you Wine Spectator.  I guess there comes a time when all good things must come to an end.

For all of you out there following this (that are as poor as I am), go and buy some House Wine while the price is still below $15 a bottle and while your local wine store still has it in stock.  2007 House Wine is a blend of 32% Cabernet Sauvignon, 31% Syrah, 30% Merlot, 3% Malbec, 2% Zinfandel, 1% Cabernet Franc and 1% Petit Verdot and can be found in the Cabernet Sauvignon section of the wine store.  If you live in California, good luck finding this bottle at all, when I was visiting family last week it was nowhere to be found so I bought an a bottle of Qupe Syrah instead (which was amazing).  If you like a good, bold, red wine like I do, then House Wine should be a good choice for you.  Pair it with beef, wild game, lamb or rare tuna.  For more information on pairing wines with food check out http://www.foodandwinepairing.org/.

Perhaps tomorrow's venture will take me on to explore blends and why they are so freaking amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment