Sunday, January 30, 2011

Port - Day 14

For my blog's two week anniversary I decided to celebrate with a glass of Port!  I've researched and written something new about wine every day now for two weeks.  It has proven to be harder than I originally thought because of time constraints due to... well, due to life.  There are chores to be done, a job to attend, a cat to care for, a social life to maintain (at least enough to call my friends and family once or twice a week to catch up and let them know I'm still alive) and last but most definitely not least, my wonderful wife needs my attention, and of course I need hers too.  It has been difficult, but I feel great for doing it, so it's worth it.

I'm going to relax now with my celebration Port.  A product of Portugal of course.  The glass I'm enjoying tonight is from my bottle of 2003 Late Bottled Vintage Porto made by Taylor Fladgate.  And, since I don't have true Port glasses, I'm drinking out of one of my brand new crystal rocks glasses that Jill and I got as a wedding present from Quinn and Bethany.  Thanks Quinn and Bethany, the glasses are fab!

Since Port is my celebration drink of the night, it is only fitting that tonight's research topic be exactly what I'm consuming, Port from the Douro Valley in Portugal.  Unlike wine, which is only good for a week (two if you're lucky) after opening, port is good for up to four weeks after opening the bottle, and sometimes even more.  Port is served in a miniature wine glass and is commonly consumed after dinner with dessert or as the dessert itself because it is so sweet and fruity.  According to http://www.intowine.com/ "Port takes its name from the city of Oporto that is situated at the mouth of the 560-mile long Rio Douro or River of Gold.  Although many port-style wines are made around the world - most notably Australia, South Africa and the United States - the strict usage of the terms Port or Porto refer only to wines produced in Portugal." 

There are two different types of Port: Vintage Ports and Wood Ports.  At http://www.wineloverspage.com/ I found out that only 2% of all Ports are Vintage Ports.  "Vintage Ports... are wines which age briefly in wood and then spend years maturing patiently in the bottle... Wood Ports are defined as everything which is not a Vintage Port."  From these two categories you can break down the types even further into Rubies, Tawnies and White Ports.  Rubies are named for their color and are younger than Tawnies.  Also named for its color, a Tawny Port is darker because of its age... the older the Port, the darker it becomes.  White Ports are sweet or dry and are made from white grapes and should be served chilled.  Ruby or Tawny Ports should be served at room temperature, or 68 degrees farenheit.

There are many great Ports available and some of my favorites are Taylor Fladgate, Graham and Dow.  Sandeman is also very good.  Next time you are out to dinner and you want to really go for it and order dessert I suggest you try it with a Tawny Port, or skip the dessert and just order the Port!  It will blow your mind.  Get the Taylor Fladgate if they have it.  The older the better!  Enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. Being a vegan most places I go out to eat don't serve many (if any) desserts that I can eat... I'm totally going to order a port the next time I'm out to dinner with friends and everyone else is getting dessert. Great suggestion girly... Thanks!!!!

    ReplyDelete